Sunday, October 16, 2005

Where are my roaches?

A while back I talked about using roaches as food for my dragon. Despite the potential for my imminent demise and the danger of this posed by 'she who must be obeyed' I have garnered the courage and order them, along with some spare globes and a ceramic heat lamp to replace the one I bought 3 months ago and cannot find (not a cheap item to misplace).

Well, it's been a week since the order. I know they come by post but I have had to get some extra crickets in the meantime and I'm wondering whether I've done the right thing.

I ordered two units of these that were about 30 days old and I know they live for up to 365 days, although I don't yet know how to keep them alive. The supplier said the postage is the same for up to 250 grams of the beasties. That's a lot of bugs. I thought I would order an extra unit, the postage being the same but now I think I might have an interesting issue. Apparently they can climb anything.

I'm hoping the box they come in has the special coating around the top to prevent them escaping but it does raise some issues about ordering food online. You order and sometimes you are not sure completely what you will get and you hope the supplier has this all sorted because essentially you are bit in the dark if you have never used that supplier before. This is also the first time I have ordered food online. I am hopeful that it is a success as the other supplier is quite expensive and it sometimes difficult to get there to pick up the food. Another problem is that they are sometimes in poor condition by the time you get them. I think the roaches are a bit tougher and hope they travel well. I post the results when they arrive.

Keeping Reptiles Newsletter readers recently asked me some feeding questions on her childrens pythons. I found out today that she put the food in a shoebox and into the cage. It was promptly devoured. This was one of several suggestions I offered her. The full question and response can be read here.

I've also been answering other questions on parasites that I will post in the next day or two as there have been more than one exchange of emails and I would like to finalize it before publishing it to the website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home