Friday, November 04, 2005

Roaches on the march

"You lied"

These were the words that greeted me two days ago.

"You lied about the roaches!!!"

I didn't lie. I just didn't reveal the whole truth. I tried the roaches and "she who must be obeyed" found out. They are bloody fast. They are hard to dish out. And they escape. Occasionally. And they get found. Sometimes. In other parts of the house.

So I was in trouble.

But, and this is the real deal, they last for ages in dark postage tubes without food and water, you can manage to dish them out in small amounts into the lizard cage and the bearded dragon loves them.

I'm very impressed with these beasties. I sometimes dish out too many but you get so many for your money that a little over here and a little under there doesn't matter. And I don't have to do a damn thing to keep them. They're almost indestructible. Quite amazing really.

But, and this is the big drawback, the missus don't like 'em.

I can sort of understand her view. As a kid I was always taught that roaches were bad. Bad roaches, bad.

Well I'm a little older and a little more tranquil on the subject. They are just an insect. A very hardy insect, but, nonetheless, just an insect. So what's the fuss? I can't figure it out, but there is definitely a fuss.

So I'll just have to wear it down and convince her that the roaches are better reptile food because:
1. They are cheaper
2. They can be slowed down (gotta get my act into gear but need fridge permission)
3. They are yummy ( to bearded dragons anyway)
4. They last for a very, very long time with out food and water in a cardboard tube (unlike crickets - no need to replace the carrot)
5. They are easy to breed
6. They keep on growing for 360+ days

I think I might have to write an article on them for the newsletter as I now regard them as a viable alternative food source. I still use plenty of vegies, and in fact I am rather lucky because I have a number of dandelions growing in the front yard amongst the garden plants. I just chop the leaves up, add some celery leaves, a dash of spinach, maybe some lettuce, a bit of bok choi or whatever the green leaves of anything else such as broccoli leaves or cauliflower leaves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home