Saturday, September 10, 2005

Handling Snakes for the Nervous Folk

I just wrote and article on that on my website, Reptile Cage Plans. I started writing the article for the blog but by the time I had finished it I thought I would put it on my site.

It's about how my daughter got one of her friends to handle a snake. She went from being fearful of even touching it to handling it fully. I was really impressed how she handled this. I learnt a fair bit by watching this from her and how she gained the confidence of her friend.

I think it's amazing what your children can sometimes teach one if you bother to listen, watch and learn.

I hope the reader (singular - to borrow a phrase coined by Philip Adams - as I know only one person reads this LOL) does not feel cheated but I wanted to make it a resource on my site. Essentially the point of the article is the need to take things slowly and gently and let the snake and new handler gain confidence in each other and how my daughter managed to do this.

There was nothing spectacularly special in the process but I think the putting at ease and the way she was introduced to handling the snake were the keys. Of course this would not work with all people. I have a sister-in-law that will not even enter the room they reside in. Quite pathetic really but she is a drama queen and one must make exceptions. The old adage "You can choose your friends, but not your family" has inescapable truths.

Anyway, go to the site and have a read if you feel so inclined. It was a lesson for me and one that I only realized after I had thought about it some time later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home